The Model Driven Software Network

Raise your level of abstraction

Pareto principle for Model driven development

The Pareto principle (also known as the 80-20 rule) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.
This principle applies to many areas, e.g. "80% of your sales come from 20% of your clients" or "80% of your employee performance evaluation will come from just 20% of the items on your daily To-Do list"

What the rule tells us is that in anything a few (20 percent) are vital and many(80 percent) are trivial, and thus, to improve your productivity, you should focus on the 20% that makes a difference. Investing your time in the other 80% will only produce a slight improvement of your results.

I believe that this principle also applies to the area of model-driven development. I state the Pareto Principle for MDD as follows:

20% of the modeling effort suffices to generate 80% of the application code

This implies that, following a pragmatic MDD approach, we can boost our productivity and benefit from many of the advantages of modeling without the burden of defining complete and precise models.

An example here: http://modeling-languages.com/blog/content/pareto-principle-applied-mdd

Do you agree with this view?

Views: 410

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The Model Driven Software Network to add comments!

Join The Model Driven Software Network

Comment by Rui Curado on September 15, 2009 at 22:22
Yes I agree. And I hope that in a few weeks I'll be able to show, through ABSE, those same results you got.

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Mark Dalgarno.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service