The Model Driven Software Network

Raise your level of abstraction

Bads news today for MDD practitioners!

Accordingly to Douglas Purdy's post: From “Oslo” to SQL Server Modeling: OSLO will change as a chamaleon to be a different thing as originally promised.

My impressions about it: The end of the MDD in OSLO

What do you think?

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw your tweet on this. It's too bad, but not very different from what happened with DSL tools: where others were trying to define DSLs for narrow, specific domains, Microsoft aimed for the ambiguous, broad domain of '.NET enterprise applications'. This is almost the same thing all over. Vlad could be right: there's no quick money in MDD for Microsoft right now, so why should they bother? I agree only partly on the education level, but bottom line I guess Microsoft sees no market pull for MDD, while it does see a market pull for modeling of databases. That's doing business...
I have followed Oslo since its very origin, because it seemed to be a drastic change and almost the first approach to a model driven point of view for designing from Microsoft; a more consistent way than Software Factories was, a return to UML consideration, and other known lines of development. But as soon it started its way, Oslo became oversold: too much promises, but few real stuff. I´m astonished on how a product with no clear goals and fundaments have created expectations, having adopters without almost anything to test.
Microsoft seems to be a giant without a head moving from side to side. I don´t agree that an erratic plan could be recovered easily. It would hurt its customer base, and shows a bad business model. Is it possible to commit with a tool that is abandoned a year later?
Could you explain yourself a little more?
More opinions about Purdy's post:
- JJ. Dubray
- Jordan Terrel
More than the rebranding issue by itself, I guess what really annoys JJ and a some of us in more or less degree is the over-hype generated during a year and half to finally change the course in the last moment and pretend it is the logical path to follow.
Ceyhun Ciper bitter-acid comments about Oslo MGrammar in the Microsoft SQL Modeling Forum.
"The only real problem I see is that DSL and MDD are still niche markets and could never emerge !!"

I guess it all comes down to tools. Would UML be so widespread if there weren't tools like EclipseUML? ;-)

Projects like Xtext and MPS are also taking DSL's out of their niche.

So we need better and easier DSL and MDD tools if we want these approaches to be accessible to the wide developer audience. This is the first hurdle. The second one is to put the average developer in a "modeling state".
Vlad: today, MDD can be considered as a niche market if you take in account the number of practitioners and projects.

However, MDD has the potential to be the next revolution in software development: faster and with more quality.

Specially, if you consider the numbers predicted by Jean Bézivin: The impossible equation. I think this step is unavoidable.

So, I agree with Rui: with better MDD tools we will get enough critical mass to make the parading change possible.
"I agree there is a need for MDD in 2015 but with the current credit crunch how many companies will still be alive in 5 years ?"

When the big, slow dinosaurs could not survive and died, small, fast mammals took their place and reigned the world.

Can you see the analogy?
Agile MDD... I like that!

My analogy is related to the fact that big players are slow to react to changes. And software engineering IMHO is going through a(n exciting) period of change. New small but noticeable players will emerge as new technologies and methodologies evolve and be adopted by the industry.

What's wrong with my analogy is that most "dinosaurs" of our time have deep pockets, so they'll end up buying their survival. Just another fact of (business) life.
I'm not sure that agile is replacing MDD but I agree that it would be easier to sell MDD if it were perceived as more agile.

I'm hoping that the myth that MDD isn't agile will be tackled in Andrew Watson's panel session at CG2010: http://www.modeldrivensoftware.net/forum/topics/mdsd-myths-wanted
May be I am missing something...
...but I never seen nothing more agile than using MDD with short iterations!

Using the fashionable agile adjetive is up to you. }:)

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Mark Dalgarno.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service